Arrival to Vancouver

We have finally made it to Vancouver! We arrived around 16.30 but weren’t docked until 17.00 when we finally got the chance to offload our garbage, and then provisions were loaded onto the ship into our food storage area. After that, they moved to a place where we would wait until they could drydock the vessel. A little after 23.00, they shut off the power for the ship, meaning we couldn’t use anything, even the toilets, as the boat was aligned to the floating dock.

A dry dock is when the ship is taken out of the water to access the usually underwater parts, like the hull, propellers, rudder, and anything else inaccessible to the crew while sailing. There are many different dry docks worldwide, but a graving or floating dock is the two most common ways of dry docking. A graving dock is typically constructed on land near coastal waters in a rectangular space with three stable walls, with the fourth acting as a gate. The area is filled with water so the vessel can maneuver in and out of the structure. Once inside the frame and lined up on the keel blocks, the gate will be closed, and water in the grave dock will be drained. A floating dock is in a “U” shape, with the front two sections open. The bottom of the dock is horizontal to the water level, and the two hollow walls on both sides are filled with water to sink the platform during high tide so that the ship is lined up with the keel blocks. The pontoons will be emptied when the wave is out and the vessel is aligned—causing the bottom of the platform to rise again to water level.

Though SOLAS, the safety of life at sea organization, requires that every vessel must have inspected twice within five years and an intermedia inspection within no more than thirty-six months. We are currently dry docked because, in September, the Resolution will be a year old, and we must complete any repairs before the warranties run out.

Unfortunately, when they cut the power off, something happened with the internet connection and electrical power, and it wasn’t up and working until 11 am this morning. The generator kept us going until then, which was good because we all had to attend the mandatory safety meeting given by Seaspan. Meeting in the Ice Lounge at 9 am, we had a half-hour safety video that we had to watch, followed by test questions about the video and paperwork about our health records that needed to be filled out for the company. After that, everyone was free to go and continue with their day. Most of us wouldn’t be able to go out and explore the city until 17.00 though, for safety reasons, one person from every safety department must always stay on board. I do not have to worry about this as I am not on a safety team, which is great because I can go out and explore the city. Still, it does make me feel guilty because for some positions, the dry dock is their busiest time, and they will not have a chance to go out at all while we are in Vancouver.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link